Thursday, October 23, 2014

"On the Rainy River"

Summary: This last week I started reading The Things They Carried, a book by a Vietnam veteran named Tim O'Brien. One of the chapters that stood out to me was "On the Rainy River." In this chapter O'Brien talks about how he was drafted to the Vietnam war right after college. He mentioned to the readers that he never told his parents, his wife, or his children his story about when he was drafted because he was embarrassed. When O'Brien found out he would be going to Vietnam he had to make  a choice to flee the Country or stay and fight for it. O'Brien was against the war and did not feel right fighting for something he did not believe in. Over the summer before he was drafted he worked at a meatpacking plant in his hometown. Everyday he would work and contemplate whether or not he should go to war. One day he looses it and freaks out. He left work early, left a note for his family and head to the Rainy River which divides Minnesota and the border of Canada. O'Brien gets a room at a lodge and while he is there he meets an elderly man by he name of Elroy Berdahl. They spend six days together and the whole time O'Brien never mentions once why he was staying at the Canadian border, although he thinks Elroy has an idea. On the last day at the lodge Elroy takes O'Brien out on a boat and they head out to Canadian Territory. Elroy does not say anything to O'Brien but as they were sitting there in the water O'Brien could not help but think of crossing the border. Once O'Brien is face to face with his freedom he cannot do it. He thinks of his family and friends back home and knows that if he runs he will be embarrassed. He breaks into tears and Elroy pretends not to notice. Elroy turns the boat around and heads back to Minnesota. When they get back they have dinner and then O'Brien leaves to go back home and head out to war.

Response: The reason this chapter stood out to me was because I can sort of relate to O'Brien. I work full time, go to school full time, have two puppies and I have a lot of bills to pay, so I am overwhelmed with things all the time. Just like O'Brien sometimes I just want to give up. I sometimes wonder what it would be like if I just ran away or if I chose a different career. I know I have a choice and O'Brien did not but I still feel his pain. I could not even imagine what it would be like to be drafted into a war and the Vietnam war at that. I believe that everyone that went to Vietnam was brave and couragous because even though they were scared they still went. It is hard enough to fight for your country in a deadly war but it is even harder to fight for a war you do not believe in. If O'Brien did not go to war I think he would of regretted it because he would never get to come back to the United States and he would of felt like a coward hiding out in another Country. O'Brien was lucky to run into Elroy Berdahl. Elroy made him face his fear and make a choice once and for all. Sometimes people need a little push to make a decision even if it is not the right one. I have a lot of friends and family that help keep me on track and I'm positive that Elroy was brought into O'Brien's life to do the same thing. Elroy helped O'Brien make a choice of whether to leave or stay and it was a hard chose for O'Brien but he made the right one in my opinion.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Logan, I enjoyed your response very much. I found it very relatable to my own life. I have to many bills and work as often as I can just to continue my schooling. Sometimes I feel as if it may be easier just to stop attending school and go straight into working. I get reminded daily to keep my priorities right and make sure that I make it through school. It is always great to have reassurance in any form. Whether it is family, friends, or just random person you meet that reminds me to keep pushing forward. I have constant people helping me get over my fears and influencing me in a positive manner. I believe that when I look back on life I will realize that I made the right decision to push myself through school. At the time, it is miserable and very stressful, but with the help from family and friends I will get through all of the adversity I will face.

    ReplyDelete